I was so happy when I found locally grown produce at Walmart the other day.
I had to grab me up some fresh green beans.
In the South our green bean recipe is a lot different than the one you will find in the North.
Here we cook them long and low, add the red potatoes to steam and you have two sides cooked in one pan.
So Southern, So Simple & So Delicious!
Here is how you prepare fresh green beans for cooking:
You will need 1# of fresh green beans and wash, string and break.
Wash them well and to string them break off one tip and pull the string as far as it will go down the seam. Repeat the the other end tearing the string down the other side, discarding the ends and the strings. Break off and discard any discolored areas. Break into approximately 1 1/2 inch pieces if you discover any more strings when breaking tear it down the seam as well. You can also open up a few of the larger bean pods and add the beans and discarding the opened pods.
Southern Style Green Beans With Potatoes
- 1# of fresh green beans, washed, strung and broken
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- salt and pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds or small red (new) potatoes
- (Make sure your saucepan is deep enough to have some head space to hold green beans and potatoes.)
- In a saucepan begin by adding bacon to hot pan. Let this fry until partially cooked, not crisp. Add green beans, cover with water, add chicken bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and check on ever so often adding a little water if needed. Cook for one hour.
- *Before adding the potatoes you need only enough water to cover approximately 1/2 of the green beans. So let it cook down or pour off some if you have to.
- Clean the small red potatoes and cut into bite size pieces, trying to keep them about the same size, leaving the red skin on.Rinse them again. Increase the temperature of the beans bringing them to a boil again. Add to pot, making sure that they are on top of the beans not down in the water, sprinkle with salt and pepper, reduce the temperature to simmer, cover with lid and allow to steam/cook just until fork tender.
**You can also use canned green beans. (I prefer Allens Brand) use 2 14 ounce cans cook for about 30 minutes then add the potatoes as above.
Ground Beef Budget 2013