I really don’t, except for a few things that well, you know…pizza, I can eat a really good pizza, breakfast, lunch and dinner and homemade chili, it always tastes better then next day.
Recycle Those Leftovers!
It’s just that I don’t like the same thing two days in a row. Now, if you can mix it up and make it a little different then I am all for that. So here’s a little recipe for using up those leftover mashed potatoes and it really is one of my favorites I even sometimes make extra mashed potatoes so that I can have me some of these the next day.
So here’s some of what we had for dinner the other day: The next day slice the meatloaf thin and it makes a great Meatloaf Sandwich. Cube up the corn bread and whip up a Cornbread Salad. Take the leftover mashed potatoes and cook up some of my favorite Potato Patties.
Southern Potato Patties (a.k.a. Potato Cakes)
approx. 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup self rising flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Mix the first 4 ingredients well. Add just enough milk to bring it to the consistency of a fairly thick cake batter.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat on the stove top with a small amount of vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Drop by heaping tablespoon onto hot pan and cook until browned on one side, then turn.
- Once turned press the potato cake just a bit with a spatula to flatten just a bit.
- Cook until done and serve as a side dish with ketchup.
You can adjust this recipe according to the amount of mashed potatoes you have left over. It doesn’t have to be precise but you do need at least one egg.
Sorry about the bad Iphone photo! But here they are cooking up in the good ole Lodge Cast Iron Skillet (can you tell I am a Lodge Fan?).
So don’t always throw out those leftovers….mix it up and stretch your dinner and your dollar! It can be yummy!