Mounds Candy Bar Cake
My intentions were to make this cake from scratch but I didn’t have enough of some of the ingredients so guess what, I had a chocolate cake mix and chocolate icing and that got my mind to rolling ….
If MTV can have Pimp My Ride I can have a series called:
What do you think?
Well, I don’t believe a recipe has to be “From Scratch” to be homemade and it certainly doesn’t have to be made from scratch to be delicious and made with love. Serving this cake can get a little messy but that doesn’t matter it still tastes yummy!
My Memaw didn’t believe a cake was a “cake” unless it was a layered cake. Being the good diabetic (LOL) she was, of course she would eat it but she would make sure you know a cake needed to be in layers. Regardless if this cake is in layers or in a 9×13 pan this recipe is delicious!
By the time I finished taking photos there wasn’t much left of the cake in the plate! It is sooooo good.
So here it goes!
Sorry....I had to take a bite. My mom would make this quite a bit and it didn't last long. She would make two layers and split them into. I did it the easy way and made 3 layers, so no slicing the cake in 1/2.
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 chocolate icing
- 24 marshmallows
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 14 ounces of coconut
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Mix cake as directed on the box. Grease and flour 3 round cake pans and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until done. Cool.
- Once cool, prepare filling. In a sauce pan, pour in the milk and warm slowly add the marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted. Add the coconut mixing well. Remove from the heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- One the first layer cover with 1/2 of the coconut filling, Top with the second layer cover this layer with the remaining filling. Cover with the last layer of cake.
- You may want to insert toothpicks to hold the cake layers together well before icing.
- Ice top and sides with the chocolate icing.
You can also make this recipe in a 9x13 cake pan, top it with the coconut filling. Because it may be difficult to spread over the filling I would suggest microwaving the icing in the tub in 15 second increments, stirring between the microwaving until it is almost the consistency of hot fudge and then pour and spread on the top.
Ground Beef Budget 2013
This recipe is also shared at The Weekend Dinner Party Extravaganza check it out!