The other night I ran across this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, The All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook and had all those blueberries from our You Pick Blueberry trip so I thought I would give this a try and I am so glad I did.
So simple. I have never made sherbet without an ice cream freezer and had never even heard of blueberry sherbet but this unconventional recipe makes a delicious dessert. No ice cream freezer needed…give it a whirl in the blender…..freeze…..blend again…..refreeze, grab your ice cream scoop and dig in!
- 2 cups of fresh or thawed blueberries
- 1 cup of buttermilk (yep, you read that right)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.
- Line a 9x9 pan with plastic wrap. (You can omit this but it makes it much easier later in the recipe.)
- Place in the freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from the pan and process again in the blender in small batches until smooth.
- Place in a freezer container, cover and freeze again for 4 hours.
Ground Beef Budget 2013