Vinegar has been used for thousands of years and not only is a economical it is a very versatile, natural, non toxic, environmentally friendly product. Distilled white vinegar (DWV) can be used as an antiseptic, mold and mildew killer and much more.
This site is all about ways to get by on a budget. You can buy a 16 ounce bottle of Distilled White Vinegar is 78¢ at Walmart and you can use it for cleaning, cooking, deodorizing, disinfecting, in your kitchen, laundry, bathroom.
Note: It is suggested that you use gloves when cleaning to protect sensitive skin.
- Use in your dishwasher in place of a rinse agent: works just as well and for a fraction of the cost.
- Clean and Deodorize the dishwasher: Pour in 1 cup of DWV and run a full cycle. Removes soap deposits and odors.
- Remove hard water: Sprinkle the area with baking soda, add some white vinegar, allow to sit for a few minutes, scrub clean. Rinse with water and dry.
- Deodorize Drains and Garbage Disposals: 1/2 cup baking soda, pour in 1/2 cup DWV let sit for 5 minutes, flush with hot water.
- Clean windows and mirrors: Mix equal parts DWV and water into a spray bottle, spray on your window and clean with newspaper for a sparkling clean, streak free shine. (newspaper is lint free and gets the windows much cleaner than paper towels and FREE)
- Clean the dirty oven door window: Open the door, cover window area with a rag soaked in full strength DWV, let is set 10-15 minutes, clean.
- Disinfect and clean baby toys: Add some DWV to some soapy water.
- Get rid of hard water on shower: In a zip lock bag add equal part DWV and water, tie over shower head, leave on at least one hour after bubbling has stopped, remove, run the shower.
- Mopping: Add 1/2 cup to 1 gallon of mop water and you will have a shiny clean no wax or linoleum floor.
- Clean Grout: Apply DWV let set for a few minutes, scrub clean with a brush.
- Microwave: Bring 1/2 cup DWV and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a microwave safe bowl. Food splatters will wipe away easily and odors will disappear.
- Remove Calcium Deposits on faucets: Wrap area with paper towel wet with full strength DWV and let soak overnight. Clean and rinse with water. For severs deposits clean with paste of equal parts DWV and salt, rinse with water.
- Remove odors from plastic containers: Soak in DWV, then wash as usual.
- Smelly Lunchbox: Soak a piece of bread and place in the lunch box, close the lid and let it sit all night.
- Clean your refrigerator: Spray and wipe clean with DWV. Cleans and deodorizes.
- Remove mineral deposits from your coffeemaker: Brew one part DWV to two part water in coffee pot. Discard, brew with just water twice before making coffee. Recommend that you consult your coffeemaker owners manual.
- Rice: Add 1 teaspoon DWV to water. Rice will be fluffier and less sticky.
- Fruit and Vegetable Wash: Kill bacteria by washing with a solution of 2 tablespoons DWV and 1 pint of water, rinse well.
- Near empty jar of mayonnaise or salad dressing: Add a little bit of DWV shake well and it’s good to the last drop.
- Remove cooking odors from house: simmer a pot of water and DWV on the stove.
- Clean your washing machine: Run a full cycle with 1 cup of DWV
- Forgot and left your clothes to sour in the washer: Run them through a cycle with 1 cup DWV, then wash again.
- Use as fabric softner: 1/4 in the final rinse cycle acts as a fabric softner, reduces static cling, keeps bright clothes bright
- Remove Tomato Based stains: dab with a mixture of equal parts water and DWV before washing
- Mustard stain: dab with full strength DWV
- Fruit Flies: Sit out a bowl of DWV on the counter
- Ants: Spray DWV around stove, cabinet base, doorway to repel ants
- Bug spray: Mix equal amounts water, DWV and liquid hand soap into a spray bottle, apply as needed.
- Repel Fleas: Add to your dogs drinking water. 1 teaspoon per quart.
- Repel Fleas: Add 1 cup DWV to dogs bath water will kill existing fleas and repel others.
- Accident on the carpet: Blot up the urine, clean with a mixture of equal part water and DWV. Sprinkle with baking soda let sit overnight, vacuum up the baking soda.
- Cat scratching your furniture?: Spray furniture with DWV, she’ll stay away.
Health and Beauty
- Antiseptic: Dab on cuts and scrapes
- Make nail polish last longer: Dab nails with DWV before applying nail polish
- Sunburn: Spray sunburned areas with DWV to sooth, may even prevent peeling.
- Sore Muscles: Add DWV to your bath and soak for a while.
- Remove Build up on your hair: Rinse hair with DWV.
- Itchy Dry Skin: Add 2 tablespoons DWV to bath water.
- Bee or Jellyfish sting: Dab with DWV to lessen the pain.
*The uses and tips described here were found from a variety of resources, including consumer suggestions, articles and other published resources. These uses and tips have not all been tested or documented by, and are not endorsed by Ground Beef Budget.